Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Hunger Games

Having just seen the Hunger Games movie, it seems a good time to finally write my thoughts on the first book in the trilogy.

I read it back in December. It probably took me about five days to read, and would have taken less, had I not put it down once I started it. Which would have been wholly possibly, if I hadn't been in one of the last weeks of school before the holidays and "working hard".

Thrilling, suspenseful, nerve-wracking, romantic. This book has it all. Collins is a good writer, and has created a very good book. Though not one of my all time favorites, it was definitely worth the time I spent reading it.

Twelve districts in the place that was once North America, kept in line by the stylish and rich Capitol. To keep the districts' memories fresh of the war that destroyed their lives, the Capitol has, for nearly three-quarters of a century, ordered participation in the Hunger Games. One boy and girl tribute from each district, locked in an arena and forced to fight to the death. The one tribute alive at the end is sent back to their district with riches and the promise of a future life free from the Games.

Protagonist Katniss Everdeen is, naturally, sent into the arena with, from her own district, Peeta Mellark, and twenty-two other tributes. Surprisingly, the book is not as gory as one would expect. Four out of five stars.

You should also really, really, really watch the movie. The movie is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! xoxo