About a month ago, I spun about 60 yards of super thin yarn on the wheel. I though it was gorgeous. Then I took it off the niddy noddy.
Talk about over-spun! I tried soaking it for about two days straight. Didn't work. So I hung it on the clothesline outside and put some rags on it so it would be weighed down while it dried. About a month and several rainfalls later, I remembered my yarn sitting out on the line and took it in. It was faded and stiff, and super super thin. I wound it into a ball, positive that it was still usable.
As you can see, this 60 yard ball was not much bigger than the quarter. It was so thin, I didn't have needles small enough to knit it. So I plied it. I started out with a navajo ply, but it was completely ruining by beautiful, even, thin yarn, so I just double plied it.
Much better. Unfortunately, what with the wasted navajo plying I had only 21 yards. But regardless, I designed a simple lace chart and cast on for a headband.
Very, very sadly, I didn't have quite enough, and had to make my headband into a bookmark instead. But I'm still pleased with it. I will be putting the pattern up hopefully today, both here and on my Ravelry page.