Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Spinning Silk

Today I found awaiting me on the table some new fiber to play with. It was from the wonderful woman who gave my mom and I our Schact Matchless spinning wheel. In the mix of fiber were 3 beautiful silk hankies.
They're about five grams each I think, for a total of half an ounce of silk. I spun the one in the bottom right corner this afternoon:
It was so much fun to spin, and so soft. I spun a very fine yarn, probably lace weight, and got about 30 yards out of it. I can't wait to start the next one. 

While 15 grams won't give me a lot of yardage, I can't complain; there was also 1 pound (!) of 100% silk and 1 pound of a wool/silk blend, so I'll have lots of joyful spinning to keep me busy in the next few months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! xoxo