Wednesday, January 30, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Waiting for Inspiration

As I said in yesterday's post, my big order from KnitPicks arrived, and one of the wonderful items in the huge box was a pair of US6 nickel-plated needle tips and some 40" cables. It was my first pair of interchangeable needles, and I was eagerly anticipating trying them out. I had a project in mind when I purchased the needles: Holden Shawlette by Mindy Wilkes. I was planning on using the blue fingering weight yarn I spun, written about here. As the first yarn I'd spun that had enough yardage for a big project, I needed the perfect project, and this shawlette fit the bill. 
I cast on last night and have made quite a lot of progress on the stockinette portion. This part is completely mindless, especially with the help of stitch markers, and I got a lot of knitting while watching a movie last night and a Doctor Who today with my sister. 

As I knit, I'm trying to get the shawl to make me think of something from Doctor Who, Merlin, The Hobbit, or some other thing I'm obsessed with, but it really isn't working. This shawl is utterly un-geeky. But I'm sure I'll think of something nerdy to call it when I get to the lace section.  

The yarn is absolutely amazing, if I do say so myself. It's quite uneven in places, but the overall weight is fingering. While it was in the skein and ball I thought it was all blue, but it has clear hints of purple, red, green, and yellow. No matter if the end result is nerdy or not, this shawl is going to be gorgeous.

3 comments:

  1. It looks good already. Will you show the lace section too here? Have a nice week. Regula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a great looking shawlette already and I love the little hints of colour !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holden is a really fun knit! I've made a bunch. Your yarn is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! xoxo